The greatest decline in the concentration of citric acid was observed in men showing remarkably high titers of IgA antibodies in the EPS and/or IgG in the serum
The greatest decline in the concentration of citric acid was observed in men showing remarkably high titers of IgA antibodies in the EPS and/or IgG in the serum. Table 3 Correlation of occurrence of anti-antibodies in serum or/and EPS with citric acid concentration in the prostatic secretion urethritis in men, is usually chronic and oligosymptomatic . the presence of anti-antibodies in the serum and prostatic secretion and the concentration of citric acid in patients with chronic prostatitis. Materials and Methods The study involved 34 men aged 18C65 years (mean: 38 years) with chronic prostatitis referred to the Center for Sexually Transmitted Disease Research and Diagnostics in Bia?ystok by urological consulting models. These patients belonged to group III according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) prostatitis classifipain syndrome . None of the patients had been treated with antibiotics for at least three months before the study. Expressed prostatic secretions (EPS) and blood serum were used as the material for analysis. GSK6853 The polymorphonuclear leukocyte (PMN) count, the presence of anti-antibodies (IgA and IgG), and citric acid concentration were decided in the prostatic secretion. The serum was examined for IgM, IgA, and IgG class anti-antibodies. A drop of EPS was used to make a direct preparation on a glass slide. After fixation and staining by means of Gram’s method, leukocytes were counted. Inflammation of the prostate was diagnosed when the PMN count was -10 in the visual field under a light microscope with a magnification of 1000. The anti-antibodies were decided using the immunoenzymatic method. Specific IgG antibodies were recognized in the serum by means of IgG EIA (Labsystem, Finland) and serum IgM+IgA and IgG+IgA in the EPS with rELISA (Medac, Germany). In the assessments Itga7 performed using the Labsystem kit, according to the manufacturer’s instructions a value of 20 enzyme immunoassay unit (EIU) was considered positive ( 10 EIU: unfavorable, 10C19 EIU: equivocal, 20C59 EIU: weakly positive, 60C110 EIU: positive, 110 EIU: strongly positive). With the Medac kit, titers equal to or greater than 1:100 (IgG antibodies) and 1:50 (IgM and GSK6853 IgA antibodies) were treated as positive. The concentration of citric acid was determined at the Department of Medical Biochemistry, Medical University or college of Bia3ystok, using the ultraviolet method (TC Citric Acid, Boehringer, Germany) . A concentration of 18.840.72 mg/ml (18.12C19.59 mg/ml) was treated as normal . This study was approved by the University or college Ethics Committee. Results Inflammation of the prostate was found in 21/34 (61.8%) patients. A reduction in citric acid concentration in the prostatic secretion was detected in 20/34 (58.8%) men. In most patients (17/20, 85%), the reduced citric acid concentration was accompanied by an elevated PMN count in the EPS ( -10/vision field). Specific serum antibodies were detected in 20/34 (58.8%) patients, including IgM in 8/34 (23.5%), IgA in 11/34 (32.4%), and IgG in 15/34 (44.1%; Fig. ?Fig.1).1). All the patients showed low titers of IgM and IgA antibodies in the serum and 7/15 (46.7%) patients had strongly positive IgG antibodies. In 11/15 (73.3%) patients, the specific IgG antibodies in the serum occurred together with IgM and/or IgA antibodies, and were found isolated in the remaining 4/15 (26.7%) cases. Table ?Table11 presents a list of positive serological outcomes according to the immunoglobulin classes. The synergistic occurrence of IgG and IgA was the most common (35%), the isolated occurrence of IgG antibodies was less common (20%), and of GSK6853 IgA the least common (5%). Open in a separate windows Fig. 1 The rate of detection of anti-antibodies in the serum in chronic prostatitis patients. Table 1 Co-occurrence of anti-antibodies according to immunoglobulin class in a group of 20 patients with serum-positive serological outcomes antibodies in serumantibodies in the EPS were detected in 15/34 (44.1%) patients, including 11/34 (32.4%) with IgA and 12/34 (35.3%) with IgG (Fig. ?(Fig.2).2). In contrast to serum, the titers of IgG antibodies in the EPS were low in all the patients, while those of IgA were strongly positive in 6/11 (54.5%) patients. Table ?Table22 presents the serum antibodies of the respective classes in the EPS. The co-occurrence of IgA and IgG (53.3%) was the.